Dear Mom, (written on an "old fashioned typewritter" and mailed)
Yes, this letter has reached me and my new companion. His name is Elder Packer. He is from Fruits Heights, Utah. He has been out for 9 months. He was originally called to speak Mandrin Chinese. He is great to work with. The only day that we did not get our contacts this week was the night that we arrived here in Vista. We met with **** and she really enjoyed the lesson we taught, so it looks like I will be able to work with a companion when we teach her again.
It's really cool to listen to Elder Packer study Chinese in the morning. It made me really grateful that I am speaking my native language on my mission. He told us in district meeting that Chinese is a tonal language which means that the slightest mistake can totally change the meaning of the word or phrase. For example, the phrase "I saw a pillar of light" can turn into "I saw a glowing pig" if the wrong tone is used. So I have become quite grateful to be teaching the gospel in English.
I am glad that you have been able to have this spiritual epiffany when Elder Bednar mention that to us. I kind of had one of those eureka moments too. I really hope that I never forget that visit.
I do have some other good news, we will be moving into a bigger apartment at the beginning of next month. Right now we are living in a studio but we will be moving into a one bedroom on August 4th. The mission is giving me a late birthday present!!!
Anyway I am really looking forward to the coming weeks with Elder Packer. I got the package and on that note I don't think I will be needing the ### ####### #####. When I saw it I actually laughed harder that I have in a long time.
Love you more than Peppermint Brownies,
Chris
Dear Dad, (same typed written snail mail) (duplicate stuff omitted)
Life has definately take a turn for the better for me. Elder Packer is amazing.....The only night that we have not met or exceede the standard for street contacting was the night of transfer meeting. We are still waiting the lesson to come, but the Lord will reward us for our dilligence. The lessons we have had so far have been very solid. .....
We met with **** and she really enhoyed the lesson we taught on Friday and she stayed for all three house of church on Sunday which was fantastic. One thing I forgot to mention in Mom's letter was we taught the first lesson to one of the referals we got from church headquarters. Her name is ###### ######. She requested a Book of Mormon and we taught the first lesson. Her older sister, her twin and her father all sat in on the lesson as well.
More on Elder Packer...he is one of the Chinese speaking missionaries. It is really cool to listen to his language stury in the morning. We are also both coming from previous companionships that we butted heads with. We are both determined to do the thinkgs that we felt were missing from our last companionships to make this one better.....It feels so good to be really working again. It is crazy how much they (Home Depot) are making you work. It sounds like we both are coming home tired!
Do you think there will still be a chance that you will still be in Georgia or will it still be awhile until you know. And from what I understand of the weather, the girls must be raking it in on the slurpee deal. I am glad things are starting to pan out with the move.
Love
Chris
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment