Tuesday, October 27, 2009

46th Letter From California

This week was really interesting. Elder Whiting started listening to some lectures by Truman G Madson on Joseph Smith. There was some really deep stuff in there. For Example he said that Doctrine and Covenets 76 could have been as long as the entire Doctrine and Covenets if the people had been ready for it. The mental effort of trying to comprehend everything that he said was phisically exausting for me. Elder Whiting said to me that he loved listening to that kind of thing but he stil felt like he didn't know enough to teach. I had an impression while we were listening that all we need is the basics of the gospel. Not to say that the deep stuff is not good but we need to make sure we have a good foundation of the basics especially since that is what we are out here teaching.

Then we had another great experience with a lady named XXXXXX. She stopped us outside of Office Depot. She said it was part of her ministery to give Elders money. As she hands us a 20 she gets choked up. Then she tells us her ex husband just died. She vented to us about how he diddnt believe in God and they couldn't agree on how to raise thier children and thats why they split. One of the coolest parts was Elder Whiting gave her a finding faith in Christ pass along card and that picture immediately lifted her spirits. We were able to meet with @@@ again but that did not go as well as we would have hoped. I gave him the wrong chapter. I meant to give him Alma 22 which was the story of king Lamoni's father but I gave him Alma 18 instead and the discussion spirald in a completely diffrent direction. We had to drop ******* because she leaves for Korea in a week and wont be back for a year and a half.

I got the Halloween package it was great however Elder Whiting and I are planning on dressing up. We need to be in the apartment by 6 pm just so they can say they know that missionaries arnt pulling pranks (or people dressed like missionaries aren't pulling pranks) So we will plan for a couple of hours and dress up after we are done. We are planning to dress up like what non lds people think we are. I will be a vampire and Elder Whiting will be a werewolf.

love you more than candied apples,
Chris

No comments: